Chile Relleno Soup

Every time I think I couldn't possibly find another soup recipe I am wrong.  Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.  I had chicken that needed to be used and some poblano peppers I had roasted when I made the Roasted Poblano and Chicken Corn Chowder a couple of weeks ago.  Add some cheese... and oh.my.heaven!!  Spicy, yummy, deliciousness.  I am hungry right now thinking about it.  And it is only 9:47 am!  Please make this.  Soon.  And call me. So I can come have some!

Chile Relleno Soup
  • 5 poblano peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped (see instructions below)
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite size pieces (I used white but normally love dark)
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
  • 3 cups grated cheese, plus more cheese for topping (I used a combination of jalepeno jack and sharp cheddar.  I think any melting cheese would be great.  I am going to try some cotija  the next time I make it.)
Roasting peppers:  There are a couple of ways to do this.  If you have a gas grill, just grill them on all sides.  If you don't want to fire up the grill, put them under the broiler on high and turn until they are nice and charred.  Then put them in a paper bag, plastic zipper bag or in a bowl covered with plastic wrap.  Let them sweat until cool enough to handle.  The peel the blistered skins off and discard the stems and seeds.  Chop.  I usually do 5-6 at a time to make it worth it.  I just freeze anything I don't use that day.  I love to have them handy.  Poblanos are my favorite!

For the soup:  Melt the butter in your soup pot and add onions.  Saute until translucent and add garlic and poblanos.  Add cumin and stir until combined and you can smell it.  (The only better smell than cumin and peppers is onions and bacon!)  

Add stock and season with salt and pepper.  Add chicken and bring to a boil. Simmer until the chicken is done.  I really like to add my chicken in whole pieces and cook and then remove it and chop it.  You can do either way.  I used chicken breasts in this one but next time I will probably use thighs.  I like dark meat better and feel like it has more flavor.  After the chicken is done add the cream cheese and whisk until it is melted.  Add your 3 cups of grated cheese and stir continuously until it is all melty and wonderful.  You can stop here and serve it and eat it... but taking the next step will take your soup to the next level.  So if you have time and want to make the presentation, then do it.   Ladle your soup into oven proof bowls.   Top with more grated cheese and put under the broiler for a few minutes until the cheese is melted and starts to get those amazing brown specks.  Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle the bowl and then eat it up!!  The angels will be singing... well, maybe not, but if the angels could eat this soup, they might sing... They should!























Adapted from ASweetLife|The Diabetes Magazine.

Comments