Butternut Squash Soup with Boursin and Bacon

There are times when I think I have found my absolute favorite soup in the world... like the Sweet Potato and Andouille Bisque or my Roasted Poblano and Cheddar... but then I stumble across a new recipe and I find it hard to pick a favorite.  Perhaps it is like when you have more than one child?  Surely you don't love one of them more than the others?  They all have their unique qualities.  So for now I will just say that this soup is what is currently holding my obsession.  I have made it twice in the past two weeks. The first time I shared it too much and only ended up getting a couple of bowls for myself.  I made it again this week and it is all mine! 

Butternut Squash Soup with Boursin and Bacon

  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 4 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 (3-1/2 lb) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
  • 2 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
  • 2 (5.2 ounce) rounds Boursin Cheese with Garlic and Fine Herbs (if you cannot find Boursin, you can substitute with Alouette Garlic and Herbs or you can make your own). 
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
  • Crispy cooked bacon, crumbled

Directions


  • In a large pot, melt butter over med-low heat. Add onion and celery and cook until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add butternut squash and thyme leaves, cook for about 8 minutes more. Stir several times. Add flour and stir until fully incorporated.
  • Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Turn down heat, cover and simmer on low for another 10 minutes. Squash should be soft. Remove thyme sprigs and then puree squash mixture until smooth.  (I use my blender and do it in batches because I want absolutely no sign of the evil celery.  You can also use a hand blender, but they just don't seem to blend it enough for me.)  
  • Add soup back to the pot  and add Boursin cheese, salt and both peppers. Stir until cheese is melted.
  • Garnish each bowl with crumbled bacon.
 The first time I made the soup I didn't have any white pepper on hand and left it out.  The second go round I added it and it definitely adds a level of heat that you do not want to miss out on.  It is fine with just black pepper and you will still want to bathe in it... but the white pepper really gives it another element that you should not miss! 

Adapted from the Noble Pig...  You should really check her out!! 

Comments