Drimmel's Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

My daughter has been asking for spaghetti on the weekly menu for a few weeks now.  I have been known to doctor up some jarred spaghetti sauce and crank out spaghetti quickly.  However, I remembered our dear friend Butch and how he made a wonderful spaghetti sauce that was his dear wife Jean's recipe.  I love being able to use my slow cooker, especially in the fall and winter months so I adapted their recipe to make it work in my slow cooker.  It is so nice to come home to a wonderful smell and dinner practically ready.  So in honor of Butch and Jean and at Morgan's request, we will be having Jean's special spaghetti sauce this week.  No jars of sauce for us!

Drimmel's Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce

  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 lb ground beef (we use ground venison)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 -1 lb cans tomatoes, diced
  • 1 -14 oz can tomatoes, diced
  • 1 -6 oz can tomato paste
  • 1/4 cup snipped parsley
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp MSG (this is in the original recipe, however, I do not add this)
  • 1 1/2 tsp, dried oregano, crushed
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme, crushed
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups water

Brown meat and onions on stove top, drain off fat, if any, and add to slow cooker.  Add the other ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Remove bay leaf.

Serve over al dente spaghetti noodles with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  It also freezes really well!

Comments