Creamy Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (28-ounce) diced tomatoes, un-drained (use San Marzano if at all possible. They are the best canned tomatoes that you can purchase. It really, really makes a difference!)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Bunch of large fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 water
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Add the tomatoes, along with their liquid and bring the mixture to a slow simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes.
Add the milk and goat cheese and continue cooking until the cheese has melted. Add the basil (saving a small amount for garnish) and stir until wilted.
Using a hand-held immersion blender (or conventional blender), puree the mixture until smooth. Add the water to thin slightly and stir in the pine nuts and keep warm until served. Sprinkle with reserved basil before serving.
The recipe makes about 4 cups of soup. For me that is basically two meals worth! I normally just have soup as my meal. I love this stuff!! I was almost sad when I finished if off today at lunch. However, I have a plan to make my Mexican Corn Soup this evening so I will have to take solace in that. And make another pot of tomato later in the week which I get my next goat cheese hook up!
Adapted from My Gourmet Connection.